Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: Remote meeting

Contact: Lesley Farrell, Democratic Services  Email: DemocraticServices@southnorthants.gov.uk, 01295 221534

Link: Please click here to view this meeting online

Items
No. Item

14.

Declarations of Interest

Members are asked to declare any interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any of the items under consideration at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

15.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 75 KB

To confirm the Minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 14 October 2020.

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 14 October 2020 were confirmed as a correct record and would be signed by the Chairman in due course.

16.

Urgent Business

The Chairman to advise whether they have agreed to any items of urgent business being admitted to the agenda.

 

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

17.

Chairman's Announcements

To receive communications from the Chairman.

Minutes:

There were no Chairman’s Announcements.

18.

Former Co-op Site, Richmond Road, Towcester pdf icon PDF 112 KB

The Executive Director: Resources will provide Members with an update on the acquisition of the former Co-op site, Richmond Road, Towcester, and future plans.

 

Briefing Note is attached for information.

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)      That the presentation be noted.

Minutes:

The Executive Director Resources submitted a briefing note which updated the Committee on the status of the former Co-op site in Richmond Road, Towcester.

 

In introducing the briefing note the Executive Director Resources explained that the acquisition of the site had been completed in July 2020 and planning permission had been granted for 152 parking spaces and it was planned to refurbish the public toilets to create modern public conveniences.  A bat survey would be carried out in May 2021 prior to the demolition of the existing building.  Current works on the site included CCTV installation and improved lighting.

 

In response to questions from the Committee, the Executive Director Resources explained that Towcester Town Council were happy for an agreement to be put in place for them to manage and maintain the public conveniences.

 

The Executive Director Resources also explained that due to various rights of way across the site there would be limits to the landscaping design and it was not intended to be a place where residents could go and sit. 

 

In response to  Members’ comments that a professional landscaper be employed, the Executive Director Resources confirmed this would be given consideration.

 

Resolved

 

(1)      That the briefing note and presentation be noted.

19.

Quarterly Performance, Risk and Finance Report - September 2020 pdf icon PDF 681 KB

Report of Assistant Director: Performance and Transformation and Assistant Director: Strategic Business Partner and Deputy Section 151 Officer

 

Purpose of Report

 

This report summarises the Council’s Performance monitoring position as at the end of the reporting month.

 

Recommendations

 

The meeting is recommended to:

 

1.1     Note the monthly Performance Monitoring Report.

 

1.2     Note that the Performance, Risk and Finance Monitoring Report is considered by Cabinet on a quarterly basis.

 

1.3     Review and comment on the performance update (Appendix 2)

 

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved

 

 

(1)        That the monthly Performance Monitoring Report as at the end of September 2020 be noted

 

(2)        That it be noted that the Performance, Risk and Finance Monitoring Report is considered by Cabinet on a quarterly basis.

 

(3)        That, having given due consideration, no items be identified for further review at this time

 

Minutes:

The Assistant Director, Customers and Corporate Services and Strategic Business Partner submitted a report which summarised the council’s performance monitoring position as at the end of September 2020.

 

In introducing the report, the Assistant Director, Customers and Corporate Services explained that building affordable homes had been a challenge this year as construction had been affected by COVID19.  Building had stopped during the first lockdown and there had been an increase in demand for housing.

 

The Assistant Director, Customers and Corporate Services advised that risk had been revised; risk L04 related to the Local plan and had been removed after its adoption.  Risk L03 residual score had increased from 4 (low) to 12 (medium) as senior officers had moved to the unitary authority. Additional capacity would be sought as required.

 

Members questions were duly answered by the Assistant Director, Customers and Corporate Services and the Assistant Director, Planning Policy and Development.

 

Resolved

 

(1)        That the monthly Performance Monitoring Report as at the end of September 2020 be noted

 

(2)        That it be noted that the Performance, Risk and Finance Monitoring Report is considered by Cabinet on a quarterly basis.

 

(3)        That, having given due consideration, no items be identified for further review at this time

 

20.

Clinical Commissioning Group

Representatives from the Clinical Commissioning Group to update Members on  Health provision within South Northants.

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)      That the presentation be noted.

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed Dr Joanne Watt, GP Chair Northamptonshire Clinical Commission Group (CCG), Dr Naomi Caldwell, the GP Clinical Lead for the CCG and Mr Toby Sanders, Chief Executive of the CCG to the meeting.  The CCG representatives had been invited to address the Scrutiny Committee and update members on the status of clinical car within South Northamptonshire.

 

Dr Watt explained that the Covid19 pandemic had been the main priority this year, not just in hospitals but in the wider community.  The current priority for the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) was the roll out of the vaccine programme.

 

Dr Watt explained that health was not just about healthcare provision but also, the place they live and their life choices.  Collaborative working with partners across the County and working together was beneficial for Communities.  The  CCG was delighted with the Brackley Healthcare Complex which had been much welcomed by the Community.  Working collaboratively with partners was the direction healthcare was going and was supported by the CCG.

 

Dr Caldwell addressed the Committee and explained that General Practice was under pressure at the moment and there was a national drive for GP retention and recruitment.  Primary Care networks were working together, looking for Care Co-ordinators and Mental Health Workers to alleviate the work of GP’s.  New GP’s were to be supported for the first 5 years with mentoring from retiring GP’s.  There would be training hubs for Primary Care Workers as recruitment was taking place in all areas.

 

Mr Sanders addressed the Committee and explained how the CCG prioritised and planned  healthcare in Northamptonshire.  There were 69 practices within the area and with scarce resources, planning had to be done with a systematic and structured approach.

 

All healthcare buildings had been surveyed over the last 12 months, and whilst some were tremendous, some buildings were unfit for modern healthcare.  Capacity within the buildings for the current population and for future population growth was also considered.  The results of this survey were due to be published but had been delayed due to Covid 19 taking priority.  Following publication, there would be a clear assessment of where Section 106 monies should be spent.

 

Mr Sanders explained that addressing the pandemic this year had demonstrated that services could be delivered in different ways.  New clinical staff needed space to work and investment was being made in expanding facilities.  Expanding current facilities was less costly than providing new premises which even if privately funded, usually had greater ongoing costs. Each scheme, therefore,  had to be considered separately looking at all options available.

 

Some Members raised concerns about practices within their District ward and the length of time it took to get anything done even when money was available from Section 106 agreements.  The Chief Executive of the CCG answered queries from the Members and confirmed the CCG would give due consideration to the issues raised.

 

The Chairman thanked Mr Sanders, Dr Caldwell, and Dr Watt,  for giving their time to attend the meeting and answering questions  ...  view the full minutes text for item 20.

21.

Review of Committee Work Plan pdf icon PDF 73 KB

To review and note the Topic Sheet (Appendix 1) and the Work Programme (Appendix 2).

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)      That, subject to the following amendments, the work programme be noted:

 

         Add Towcester Link Road, Towcester Youth Café and The Co-op Project to the March meeting

         Remove Saracen’s Junction from “items to be allocated” as this has now been completed.

Minutes:

The Committee considered the Work Programme and agreed that an update on the Co-op project, the Towcester Relief Road and the Towcester Youth Café should be added to the Work Programme for March.  The Assistant Director Planning and Economy informed the Committee that the work on the Saracen’s Junction had been completed and it was agreed that this item should be removed from the Work Programme.

 

Resolved

 

(1)      That, subject to the following amendments, the work programme be noted:

 

         Add Towcester Link Road, Towcester Youth Café and The Co-op Project to the March meeting

         Remove Saracen’s Junction from “items to be allocated” as this has now been completed.