Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: The Forum, Moat Lane, Towcester, Northants NN12 6AD

Contact: Emma Faulkner / Lesley Farrell, Democratic and Elections  Email: emma.faulkner@cherwellandsouthnorthants.gov.uk. 01327 322043 / Email: lesley.farrell@cherwellandsouthnorthants.gov.uk, 01295 221591

Items
No. Item

44.

Declarations of Interest

Members are asked to declare any interest and the nature of that interest which they may have in any of the items under consideration at this meeting.

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

45.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 211 KB

To confirm the Minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 21 November 2018.

 

Minutes:

The Minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 21 November 2018 were confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

46.

Urgent Business

The Chairman to advise whether they have agreed to any items of urgent business being admitted to the agenda.

 

Minutes:

There were no items of urgent business.

47.

Chairman's Announcements

To receive communications from the Chairman.

Minutes:

There were no Chairman’s announcements.

48.

Exclusion of Press and Public

The following report(s) contains exempt information as defined in the following paragraph(s) of Part 1, Schedule 12A of Local Government Act 1972.

 

3– Information relating to the financial or business affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding that information).

 

Members are reminded that whilst the following item(s) have been marked as exempt, it is for the meeting to decide whether or not to consider each of them in private or in public. In making the decision, members should balance the interests of individuals or the Council itself in having access to the information. In considering their discretion members should also be mindful of the advice of Council Officers.

 

Should Members decide not to make a decision in public, they are recommended to resolve as follows:

 

“That under Section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the following item(s) of business on the grounds that, if the public and press were present, it would be likely that exempt information falling under the provisions of Schedule 12A, Part I, Paragraph 3 would be disclosed to them, and that in all the circumstances of the case, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.”

 

 

 

Minutes:

Resolved

 

That under Section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972, the public and press be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that, if the public and press were present, it would be likely that exempt information falling under the provisions of Schedule 12A, Part I, Paragraph 3 would be disclosed to them, and that in all the circumstances of the case, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.

49.

Update on Silverstone Heritage Experience

Sally Reynolds, Chief Executive of The Silverstone Experience, and Hannah Irving, Finance Director - Silverstone Circuits Limited, will attend to give an update on progress on the project and to answer questions from members.

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)       That the exempt presentation be noted.

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed Sally Reynolds, Silverstone Heritage Chief Executive, and Hannah Irving, Finance Director of Silverstone Circuits Limited, to give an update on progress of the Silverstone Heritage Experience Project.

 

The Committee received an exempt presentation that gave details of the current progress of the exhibition fit-out, an update regarding the current position on costs, an overview of current progress with philanthropic fundraising and details of the anticipated marketing and communications approach.

 

The Committee were also shown the marketing film for the Experience that had been released on social media over the festive period, and had received several thousand views. 

 

The Committee asked detailed questions regarding the estimated level of visitor numbers, and any anticipated promotions to attract visitors, which were all duly answered by the Silverstone Heritage Chief Executive and Silverstone Circuits Finance Director.

 

With regard to opening of the Experience, the Silverstone Heritage Chief Executive confirmed that there would be a period of ‘soft openings’ during May 2019, ahead of the anticipated formal opening in June. The Silverstone Heritage Chief Executive added that Members of South Northamptonshire Council would be welcome to attend during the soft opening period, in order to provide feedback on the Experience.

 

Resolved

 

(1)       That the exempt presentation be noted.

50.

Re-admittance of Press and Public

The Committee to resolve to re-admit Press and Public.

Minutes:

Resolved

 

(1)          That the press and public be re-admitted

51.

Draft Business Plan and Budget pdf icon PDF 609 KB

This is an opportunity for Scrutiny Committee to review the Draft Business Plan and Budget for 2019/2020.  A copy of the report that will go to Cabinet on 14 January 2019 is attached.

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)       That the draft business plan and budget be noted

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report from the Assistant Director – Finance, Procurement and Property on the Draft Business Plan 2019/20 and Summary Medium Term Financial Strategy 2019/20 to 2023/24.

 

With regard to the Draft Business Plan for 2019/20, the Assistant Director Customers and Corporate Services explained that the plan on a page approach would again be used, with the performance measures in each priority area having been updated.

 

In response to questions from the Committee, the Executive Director – Operations agreed that it was important they understood how the business plan related to the performance indicators. It was agreed that this would be reviewed in future discussions around performance and the business plan.  

 

The Committee also requested clarity on the Healthy Place Shaping heading, as it was not immediately clear what it meant. The Executive Director – Operations agreed to schedule an item for a future meeting of the Committee.

 

With regard to the summary Medium Term Financial Strategy, the Assistant Director Finance, Procurement and Property explained each of the areas of funding for the Council, and estimates for each for the coming year. The position was uncertain as a result of upcoming Government consultations on the Fairer Funding Review, and Business Rates Retention. The impact and outcome of both consultations would be reported to Members in due course.

 

In response to questions from the Committee regarding Business Rates, the Assistant Director Finance, Procurement and Property advised that benchmarking was carried out against other authorities in the County, but as the rateable value was set by the Valuation Office Agency, and therefore varied from business to business, it was not possible for South Northamptonshire Council to have any influence on the level of business rates payable.

 

The Assistant Director Finance, Procurement and Property reminded the Committee of the various business rates relief schemes in operation in the District, and invited Members to refer concerned businesses to the Council to discuss Business Rates in more detail.     

 

Resolved

 

(1)       That the draft business plan and budget be noted

52.

Review of Committee Work Plan pdf icon PDF 343 KB

Democratic and Elections Officers will give an update on progress regarding subjects raised at previous Committee meetings (appendix 1, attached).

 

 The Committee to consider the work programme 2018/2019. (appendix 2 Attached)

Additional documents:

Decision:

Resolved

 

(1)  That the topic and work programme update be noted

Minutes:

The Democratic and Elections Officers updated the Committee on progress of topics raised at previous meetings.

 

With regard to the item Impact of Major projects on residents and Towcester Relief Road, the Executive Director – Resources advised that the current position with regard to the new road would be investigated and a report brought to a future meeting with an update.

 

In relation to the Silverstone Experience, the Committee requested that officers from the Experience be invited to give a further update towards the end of the calendar year.

 

In response to questions from the Committee regarding the expected unitary authority for West Northamptonshire, the Executive Director – Resources advised that the structure of a new authority, i.e. whether it would be an Executive or Committee style authority, would be included in the Structural Changes Order that would be published once a decision had been made by the Secretary of State. Once that level of detail was known, discussions could start to be had regarding the Scrutiny function at the new authority.   

 

Resolved

 

(1)          That the topic and work programme update be noted